Learn Korean

Community for Korean Learners and Listeners of TalkToMeInKorean.com

Big Free Korean Anki Vocab deck with audio, hanja and example sentences.

Hi everyone, (this is a quick repost of what I just put on Korean class 101, sorry if that violates forum rules but it's a long post)

I'm getting back into learning Korean and I put together an anki deck to
help me out. I used the audio and word lists from Wordshowers.com and
hanja and example sentences from Naver's online dictionary. There are
over 3,000 cards in the deck. Took me a while to put it all together.

you can get the whole deck+media packed here:
http://www.divshare.com/download/10665368-8f0
just extract that file and it should work fine.

Keep the media folder in the same directory as your deck:

From there just open the deck with Anki and you should be good to go.

If you don't have Anki pick it up at : http://ichi2.net/anki/

It's a free Spaced Repetition program that will help you learn and
remember vocabulary.

I didn't personally like the original wordshower method, I need things
like context sentences and hanja roots to get vocabulary to stick. I
know some Kanji, but not much Hanja so I will be adding the Hanja
readings to the deck as I work through it.

For beginners that might not know around 80% of Korean is based on
Chinese characters. Although daunting at first it can really help you
when you get to a certain level. For example if you know that 안녕 =
安寧=(safety+rather) then when you see other words like 안전=安全=
(safety+whole) = safety it becomes much easier to draw links and learn
new words.

This deck contains fairly common words, but I couldn't find an efficient
way to organize it for frequency. My advice is to use Anki's 'suspend'
button if you come across a word you don't want to study right now.

Anyway I'm no expert, you can use this deck for sentence reading,
listening or hanja or whatever. I think there's a lack of good free
study material for Korean and I'm just trying to do my part.  Please share this deck and let me know if you can think of any improvements.

Tags: anki, flashcards, hanja, sentences

Views: 986

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's been tough since I had to upload the audio to a different site.
I think the file names get changed (hashed?) and it's tough to make them match.
I'll upload the entire packaged anki deck to a site, so you can just use that link and forget the other one.
I'll post the link here when it's ready.
I managed to get the audio to work. All I did was put the media in the same folder as the anki deck as suggested. Make sure it stays in the folder structure though. Also re-name it to have the same name as the anki deck. I just made both of mine say wordshower before the extension.

example in image
Attachments:
There it is, all packaged in a zip file (with a few minor corrections/additions)
http://rapidshare.com/files/350979901/Korean_Deck.zip.html
Just extract it, open the .anki file in Anki, run a database check and you should be good to go.

As Ashley says, if you name them right it should work- but if I can make the process easier I'm all for that.

While I'm on the Anki note, something I learned about on a Japanese forum was subs2srs:
http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=2643&action=new
It's a simple program you drop a movie file and some subtitles into and out pops an Anki deck with audio, Korean (or any language) English, and pictures or video.
for example here's a card from my deck "The Classic"

You can get subtitles for Korean movies here: http://www.cineast.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=psd_caption
As far as where to get the movies... well I'll leave that to you guys. It's my opinion that if you already own the dvd (as I do with 'The Classic') downloading a copy of the movie for this purpose is fair and square. But out of respect for this site I hope no one starts trading copyrighted material openly on this forum. Anyway for the price of a DVD you can learn a whole bunch of natural Korean in a fun way- so I think it's worth it.
The problem is Korean subtitles are really hard to come by.
Most of the movies I'm seeing are not Korean movies. I guess I should've been more specific, Korean subtitles or Korean movies are hard to come by.

Speaking of learning through movies, i'd like to put out some youtube videos for specific grammar patterns with examples from movies. Maybe I should make another thread for it for anyone interested.

RSS

About

Hyunwoo Sun created this Ning Network.

Members

Latest Activity

크리스찬 카마차니 and AGB are now friends
yesterday
Luke Swart posted a blog post

Recommended novels for a 50-60 year old Korean mom

My mom is ~60 and speaks English okay, but her reading/writing is not very good. I want to give her a fun, easy English novel for her to enjoy while also picking up skills in English reading/writing. Any suggestions?She has never read a novel in English, so a book at the late elementary/early middle school level would be great. I was considering "Island of the Blue Dolphins" or a similar book that is easy to connect with and has content fit for an adult. She has lived in the U.S. for almost 30…See More
Wednesday
Mike Hall posted a status
"Learning Korean is hard for me because even through I live in Korea, my Korean wife and all our friends mostly only speak English around me."
Sunday
anton thomas posted a discussion

A group ~ does it work ?

Why so many want to make a group ?And why don't we just use this community well ?We can ask or discuss everything here ...What do you think ... ?See More
Apr 12
Darla Baltazar updated their profile
Apr 11
Rachel Hong posted a blog post

Hangul vs English, Japanese, Malay, and Chinese

Computer KeyboardHangul letters are very different in their positions among the other languages.In English and Malay, the letters are all in ABC forms, so can just type straightaway.In Chinese and Japanese, Han Yu Pin Yin and Romanji will be used respectively. However, you need to choose which Chinese words after typing Han Yu Pin Yin.ContractionIt seems that in Hangul, it is used in both formal and informal setting.In English, this is used in casual situation, even in informal letter.And in…See More
Apr 11
minyii replied to Ivette Rubio Moreno's discussion Chat group in kakaotalk
"I hope i am not too late :( my ID minyii2  "
Apr 10
CY Young replied to Claudine's discussion LANGUAGE PARTNER (Kakao talk, Hello talk, FB, twitter)
"Hihi, I added you in KKtalk. Let's study Korean together! 화이팅!! :)"
Apr 6
CY Young replied to Ivette Rubio Moreno's discussion Chat group in kakaotalk
"Cool! Can I join you guys in Kakaotalk too? I'd love to have some study buddies in Korean; otherwise, I can't keep going to learn. I'm in level 1-2, already stopped to read & study in few months, so pls add me, my id is…"
Apr 6
CY Young replied to Gwendolyn's discussion Korean Learning Buddies ?
"안녕하세요! I'm interest to have learning buddies too, it's too boring to study alone. Can I join you guys? I think Kakaotalk / Skype is a good way to chat, what do you think? My KKTalk ID is joyoung1119. Add me, pls 감사합니다!!"
Apr 6
Grace Bendal posted a photo
Apr 4
Ed Da updated their profile
Apr 4
arya syifa fadilah commented on arya syifa fadilah's photo
Thumbnail

Capture

"channie"
Apr 2
arya syifa fadilah posted photos
Apr 2